Firefox versions 8 and above support Click to Play (also known as Click to Activate) functionality for browser plugins.
By enabling Click to Play, web content that requires plugins such as Java, Flash, Silverlight, Adobe Reader, QuickTime, and more will be disabled by default. Users must manually Click to Play plugin content on any given web page in order for the content to load. This provides a useful security control, so that malicious content is not automatically executed by the browser.
Students and staff are advised to enable Click to Play in Firefox by following the instructions below:
- Open FireFox.
- Type about:config into the address bar and hit Enter.
- If you receive a warning about modifying settings, click the I'll be careful, I promise button to proceed.
- In the search bar that appears at the top of the page, enter plugins.click_to_play. The configuration setting should appear on a single line.
- Right-click the configuration setting and select Toggle. The value column should change from false to true.
- Restart Firefox. Click to Play is now enabled.
More information about Click to Play in Firefox can be found at:
Note: Chrome also supports Click to Play. See How do I enable Click to Play in Google Chrome? for instructions.