Definition of Roles
- Unit Head - In the context of information security a "Unit Head" is a generic term for Dean, vice chancellor, associate vice chancellor, or other accountable executive in a senior role who has the authority to allocate budget and is responsible for Unit performance, administration, and risk acceptance. The following senior roles may also be Unit Heads if explicitly delegated by the responsible Dean, VC, or AVC: department chairs, principal investigators, directors, or senior managers.
- Unit Information Security Lead (UISL) - A term for the Workforce Member(s) appointed by the Unit Head and assigned responsibility for ensuring tactical execution of information security activities including, but not limited to: implementing security controls; reviewing and updating risk assessments; devising procedures for the proper handling, storing and disposing of electronic media within the Unit; and reviewing access rights. These activities are performed in consultation with the Unit Head. The UISL doesn’t need to be a technical person (though they can be).
Summary of Responsibilities
- Unit Heads are the executives accountable and responsible for overseeing the execution of UC and Campus information security policies within the Unit. The Unit Head role is a business function responsible for risk acceptance; even where IT functions have been centralized, this role remains with the Unit and does not transfer to IT Client Services (ITCS).
- Unit Information Security Lead/UISL (also known as Security Lead) is designated by the Unit Head and is responsible for ensuring execution of information security activities within the Unit. The role is responsible for ensuring that security activities happen, not necessarily for performing the implementation; there may be a coordination aspect for many tasks. For Units whose IT functions have been centralized, the UISL is expected to work in partnership with the IT Client Services (ITCS) zone contact for areas requiring technical support.
Security Lead Job Duties and Tasks
- Short Description - An overview of the main tasks associated with the UISL role
- Detailed Description - An in-depth review of the tasks that are associated with the UISL role
NOTE: The number of UISLs in a Unit is established by the Unit Head. A single person could oversee the responsibilities for an entire Unit or different UISLs could be assigned to different functional areas. This will largely be determined by the size and structure of the Unit and the Unit Head’s reporting preferences. Smaller Units may also be able to share one UISL.
Unit Heads & Unit Information Security Leads:
Table below only shows information for the Units that have begun implementation of the IS-3 Project and will be updated as new Units are onboarded.
|Haas School of Business||Data & Research Support||Ann Harrison, Dean and Bank of America Chair, Haas School of Business||Pierre Chew|
|Haas School of Business||Enterprise & Media Services||Ann Harrison, Dean and Bank of America Chair, Haas School of Business||Phil Mahoney|
|Information Services & Technology||API Platforms, Engineering, and Service||Jenn Stringer, Associate Vice Chancellor for IT and Chief Information Officer (CIO)||Bernie Rossi|
|Information Services & Technology||Data and Platform Services||Jenn Stringer, Associate Vice Chancellor for IT and Chief Information Officer (CIO)||David Rieger|
|Information Services & Technology||Enterprise Applications||Jenn Stringer, Associate Vice Chancellor for IT and Chief Information Officer (CIO)||Kamyar Marashi|
|Information Services & Technology||Enterprise Data||Jenn Stringer, Associate Vice Chancellor for IT and Chief Information Officer (CIO)||Daniel Grieb|
|Information Services & Technology||Finance, ReIT||Jenn Stringer, Associate Vice Chancellor for IT and Chief Information Officer (CIO)||Michelle Kresch|
|Information Services & Technology||Infrastructure Services & Telecommunications||Jenn Stringer, Associate Vice Chancellor for IT and Chief Information Officer (CIO)||David Rieger|
|Information Services & Technology||IT Client Services||Jenn Stringer, Associate Vice Chancellor for IT and Chief Information Officer (CIO)||Micah Bot-Miler|
|Office of the Chief Information Officer||Information Security Office||Jenn Stringer, Associate Vice Chancellor for IT and Chief Information Officer (CIO)||Greg Snow|
|Optometry Clinic||Monica Porter, Senior Assistant Dean of Operations||Davis Swaminathan|
|School of Law||Erwin Chemerinsky, Dean of Berkeley Law, Jesse H. Choper Distinguished Professor of Law||Gabriel Gonzales|
|Student Affairs IT||Steve Sutton, Vice Chancellor of the Student Affairs Division||Chad Edwards|
|University Health Services||Dr Guy Nicolette, Dean of Berkeley Law, Jesse H. Choper Distinguished Professor of Law||Jeff Kreutzen|