Open Staff Positions:
Position coming soon!
Open Student Positions:
#3461618 Security Operations Assistant
To apply, go to https://career.berkeley.edu/handshake and send resume, cover letter, and schedule to email@example.com
Security Operations Assistant (Assistant III)
Department: Information Security and Policy
Hours: 10-15 hours/week, hours TBD
Summer commitment: Desired
Start date: ASAP
The Information Security Office (ISO) collaborates with partners across the Berkeley campus to monitor network activity for vulnerabilities and security incidents, assess data and systems to align in accordance with policies, provide a centralized authentication and authorization system, clarify campus obligations needed to protect data, and to educate the community in becoming a culture of security.
ISO is comprised of five teams: Policy Program Management, Service Management, Security Operations, Development and Engineering, and Security Assessments. This position is part of the Security Operations team, and reports to the Information Security Operations Manager.
The Information Security Operations team is a close-knit group of talented information security professionals performing critical information security functions for the institution, including monitoring/detection, vulnerability scanning, incident/breach response, and network registration. This position supports the activities of the Security Operations team by assisting our Operations Center analysts with management of security incidents and security-related help desk requests.
Responsibilities may include:
* Triaging incident reports, queries, and other requests to our Security email contact address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* Answering Security phone tree calls and responding as appropriate
* Drafting and reviewing templates, best-practice articles, and other communications
* Route escalated alerts to tier 2 and 3 analyst support
* Assist in documenting commonly occurring issues and fixes
* Fielding customer information security question and requests via phone and email
* Documents incident status and solutions in incident database tools
* Strong interest in the field of Information Security
* Excellent customer service skills
* Effective written communication skills
* Ability to troubleshoot
* Dependable and attentive to detail
* Ability to work autonomously on projects
* Adept in using the Google Productivity Suite
Preferred Qualifications :
* Working knowledge of key concepts in Information Security
* Awareness of campus policies, practices, and guidelines for Information Security
* Experience working in a front-line customer service or help desk role
* Familiarity with IT Service management software (RequestTracker RT, Jira, ServiceNow)
* Exposure to Information Security tools including vulnerability scanning, Security information and Event Management (SIEM) (Splunk, ArcSight, LogRhythm) or Vulnerability scanners (Nessus, Saint, NMap)
* Maintain confidentiality and objectivity in all matters business practices and clientele
* Be responsible with staff privileges, including use of equipment and access to restricted spaces
* Work assigned hours
* Report/meet with the hiring manager to discuss the status of assigned work
* Professional workplace behavior
Applicants must be currently enrolled students at UC Berkeley.